Head of Legal and Compliance, Oxford
Last updated on 18/05/2022
Sector: Financial Services
OU Endowment Management Ltd (OUem) is a commercial subsidiary of the University of Oxford. Set up initially to manage the long-term endowment of the University, we have expanded our business over the last 15 years and now manage over £6bn of assets for 45 different charitable investors. Our main product is the Oxford Endowment Fund, an unregulated charitable unit trust and Alternative Investment Fund.
The OUem team of 25 is small and reflects our culture well: we have a strong work ethic, strive for excellence and take tremendous pride in supporting the work of our investors through our investment performance.
Our investment approach is long term and globally diversified and we seek to partner with outstanding investment talent. We do not manage to benchmarks, rather we focus on long term investment themes and business fundamentals.
A new vacancy now exists for a Head of Legal and Compliance.
- Reporting directly to the COO, the position will work closely with the business, internal investment directors, external parties (including external counsel) and industry regulators.
- Assessing and advising on the legal and compliance risks arising in the business and recommending an appropriate course of action and strategies to manage these risks.
- Supporting the COO with clear cascading and monitoring of a robust and relevant risk and compliance framework across the business.
- Advise in relation to contracts, financial services regulation and day to day operational matters such as employment issues and Freedom of information Act requests.
- Drafting, amending and negotiating a broad range of agreements, both asset management specific and general commercial.
- Advising on the impact of FCA regulations, Data Privacy, Anti-bribery and Ethics and fulfilling the MLRO (SMF17) and DPO roles.
- Maintenance and updating of fund documentation in line with relevant laws and investment policies.
- Overseeing and ensuring full compliance of insurances including D&O and PII.
- Management of one direct report.
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister, under UK law.
- Minimum of seven years* post qualification experience.
- Excellent University degree, minimum 2:1.
- Experience working for an investment management business or advising clients in the fund management sector.
- Sound knowledge of the UK financial regulatory environment.
- Prior working knowledge and a strong wish to practice in sustainable finance encompassing ESG best practice.
- Detailed knowledge and ability to draft and negotiate a wide range of investment specific agreements and other commercial agreements.
- Exposure to private funds and/or direct private equity investment/corporate documentation.
- Prior experience of handling compliance matters for a financial services business.
- Understanding of Freedom of Information Act.
- Capability to communicate clearly and concisely (verbal and written).
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills, with the ability to work effectively with people at all organisational levels and to influence and persuade others in a constructive manner.
- Ability and ideally prior experience of managing direct reports.
- A self-starter who is comfortable working in a niche environment.
- A good sense of humour.
Package on offer:
- Competitive base salary
- Discretionary bonus up to 30%
- Excellent pension scheme – up to 16% by employer
- Life assurance
- 29 days holiday (plus bank holidays and Christmas shut-down)
- Private medical insurance
- Life cover
- Critical illness cover
- Income protection
- Health plan including discounted products
OUem’s office is based within 5 minutes’ walk of Oxford train station. OUem adopts a hybrid model for working with 3 days in the office and 2 days being flexible.
If you are interested in applying to this Head of Legal and Compliance position, please forward an up-to-date copy of your CV to our retained consultant Jacqui Douglas at McKenzie Douglas, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any direct or third party applications will be forwarded to McKenzie Douglas for consideration. If you would like to discuss the position in more detail, please call Jacqui on 01539 446666.
*All candidates will be considered on merit
By submitting a job application to us, you agree to the storage of your personal data by Mckenzie Douglas. This information may have been provided by you directly or collected from generally accessible sources (e.g. professional and social media sites) throughout the entire application process. To facilitate Mckenzie Douglas carrying out recruitment services on your behalf, you agree to your data being saved after the application process has ended. You may revoke your consent to this agreement at any time. The Data Protection Act 1998 and the GDPR give you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act and GDPR. Please contact us on email@example.com.